Selling like crab cakes! A public relations push turns a rising brand into the face of Maryland pride.
Route One Apparel has transformed Maryland state pride into a fashion statement. Created by Ali von Paris while she was a student at University of Maryland, the company has skyrocketed from a dorm-room operation into a major online retailer, wholesaler, and trendsetter.
But with success comes imitation. Besieged by a wave of copycat brands, Route One needed a way to position itself as THE trailblazer in Maryland pride merchandising.
Devaney & Associates had the answer: a comprehensive public relations program designed to showcase the one-of-kind products that can only be found at Route One Apparel and promote founder Ali von Paris as one of the area’s fastest-rising entrepreneurs.
The plan worked: Route One Apparel soon had the attention of virtually every noteworthy regional media outlet, and founder Ali von Paris quickly became the face of young entrepreneurship in the regional business and trade media. In less than 12 months, the company landed nearly two dozen major print and television placements, including:
- Featured appearances on all 4 local major TV networks, including 2 appearances on WJZ-TV and 5 appearances on the market’s highest-rated station, WBAL-TV
- The cover of The Daily Record’s women-focused business publication “Path to Excellence”
- A full-page article in the Baltimore Business Journal’s “Enterprising Women” special publication
- A profile as one of Baltimore Business Journal’s “40 Under 40” for 2016
- Product features in Baltimore Magazine’s annual “Best of Baltimore” issue
- The cover of the Baltimore Sun’s Health & Style section